Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Wrong name for the winner


THIS HAPPENED SOMETIME in the 1990s. I was coming home from Atlanta Motor Speedway the morning after a race, and I was walking by a newspaper box in Augusta, Ga.

The skybox at the top had a promo for the lead sports story inside. Dale Earnhardt had won the Cup race on Sunday, but they spelled it wrong. They spelled it Earnhart. No "d" for Dale's last name.

That's stuck with me probably 24 or 25 years. I would HATE to misspell a name in a headline or skybox, particularly the latter.

Dale won Atlanta several times, but I'd guess this to be around 1995 (Nov. 12) or 1996 (March 10).


EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK

More entries from TARJ
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

EDITOR@WORK blog entries 

Entries from The Dog Blog
More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments: