Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Harry Gant's four toughest turns


THIS WAS IN THE 1990s, and I was doing a Winston Cup Scene article on the four toughest turns in Winston Cup. I knew I wasn't going to get just four turns, and I'd get two or three (or more) turn fours.

The fourth turns at Darlington and Charlotte were mentioned prominently, as was the infamous tunnel turn at Pocono.

I asked Harry Gant about his four toughest turns, and he said, "The four turns at Indy. I hate all of them."

Indy has very little banking in the turns (that doesn't bother Indy cars, but it's a bear on stock cars), and Harry was struggling to get used to them.

Come to think of it, this had to be 1994, the year of the first Brickyard 400 at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

By the way, Jeff Gordon won the first Brickyard, and Harry finished 37th among the 43 starters.


EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK

More entries from TARJ
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

EDITOR@WORK blog entries 

Entries from The Dog Blog

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments: