Sunday, April 12, 2015

THE BAD 500

Years ago, they were about to hold the Birmingham Auto Dealers 500, an ARCA race, at Talladega (Ala.) Superspeedway. We were in the media room, and I noticed my friend Neal Sims, a sports writer for the Birmingham paper.

I went over and told Neil that I'd been calling the race the BAD 500 on second reference, and he nearly fell out of his seat.

"Can I use that?" he asked quickly. I told him, "Sure; just give me credit."

He never said if his editors (or anyone else) liked the name. He and I did, and my bosses at the Charleston (S.C.) Post & Courier didn't complain.

It was bad, in a good way.

P.S.: I just thought of this (more than a year later), but Dale Earnhardt would have appreciated the BAD 500.


EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK.

No comments: