Sunday, April 19, 2015

Heavy banking at Talladega

The year was 1990, and I was at Talladega (Ala.) Superspeedway for the first time. I was among a bunch of folks who were about to cross the front stretch of the racetrack, heading from the infield into the stands.

Me? I was heading to the press box.

I forget what the banking was along the front stretch, but it was pretty steep. About halfway up the hill, I started falling backwards!

Suddenly, a young woman reached out and grabbed my jacket, stopping my fall. I might have hit hard and rolled to the bottom, and I was immediately and profusely thankful.

She nodded but acted like it was no big deal. We went on like nothing had happened.

What got me is that, at 230 pounds back then, I outweighed her by at least a hundred pounds. And she stopped me so easily.

Contact: I can be reached at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com. Also, my Twitter handle is EDITORatWORK.

No comments: