Saturday, December 18, 2021

A QUICK REWRITE AT DAYTONA

DARRELL WALTRIP FROM 1973

My first trip to Daytona
came in the summer of 1990. I'd written a feature on Bill Elliott for my lead, and Darrell Waltrip's 400th career start was at the front of my notebook (DW joked that wife Stevie was having a birthday and that it was "her 40th start").

I was finished writing, so I headed outside to see if I could find anything else for my notebook. That's when I noticed a column of dark smoke in turn four. I checked it out, and Waltrip and Dave Marcis had obviously been in a wreck during practice.

Which wrecked my plans. I hurried inside and rewrote the lead of my notebook into my story lead. I found another notebook lead, and turned the Elliott feature into my lead for Sunday. I'd have to do some updating on Saturday, but I was in good shape.

Interestingly, I didn't feel any pressure at having to reshape my work on the fly; I enjoyed it (and surprised myself).

--------------------------------------------------


EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com   TWITTER: EDITORatWORK
 
More entries from TARJ
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

EDITOR@WORK blog entries 

Entries from The Dog Blog

More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments: