Thursday, February 11, 2016

A laugh with Dick Beaty

We were at North Carolina Motor Speedway (Rockingham) in the early 1990s, and Winston Cup director Dick Beaty was laughing his head off.

There was a line of cars going through tech, and Beaty was looking at a car owned by a part-time driver; it could have been James Hylton or Delma Cowart or some other part-timer.

I asked Beaty why he was laughing, and he said that car had a Chevrolet engine, but the hood was Ford, and the back end of the car looked like an Oldsmobile. There was another part, maybe the roof, that was Pontiac.

"I don't know which template to put on it," he said, shaking his head.

I don't know if Beaty used a template for Ford or some other car make, but he passed the car. And it went out early in the race for "handling."
  
Contact: I can be reached at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com. Also, my Twitter handle is EDITORatWORK.

No comments: