Sunday, September 7, 2014

Yes, sir, sir

JEFF GORDON FROM THIS
CENTURY, NOT FROM THE
1990s.
(CHEVROLET PHOTO)
I don't remember what year it was, but it was in the '90s, and it was Jeff Gordon's first win at Darlington Raceway.

They were having what they called one-on-ones in the back of the press box, and I asked Jeff a few questions. His then-wife Brooke was standing behind him. I'd ask a question, and Jeff would say, 'yes, sir,' or 'no, sir' to most of them.

Every time he'd answer 'yes, sir,' I'd make a face, and Brooke would look at me and laugh. Jeff never did. It seemed natural for him to call an older man "sir." He must have said "sir" eight or 10 times in five minutes.

It's been about 20 years, and "yes, sir" doesn't affect me as much as it did then.

But if I talked to him now, he'd probably still say "yes, sir." He's always been a polite young man with me.


Contact: I can be reached at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com. Also, my Twitter handle is EDITORatWORK.

No comments: