Tuesday, February 19, 2019

The relevance of 218


I should have immediately realized the relevance of Feb. 18, but I didn't. Until I looked at Facebook.


There, I was reminded that Dale Earnhardt Sr. died on Feb. 18, 2001. Earnhardt was important to me, since he appeared on the cover of three books I wrote, and his car was on the cover of a book I co-wrote.

I have a quick story about Feb. 18. A friend of mine, Ron Glancy, said that he'd signed up for an Earnhardt poster that year, and he got it after Dale's death. His poster was No. 218 in the issue, and Ron wondered about the significance of 218.

Then he realized that Dale died on Feb. 18, also written as 2/18.

Not a huge deal, but interesting. That story, by the way, is in my book Angel in Black: Remembering Dale Earnhardt Sr.

I have watched just two full NASCAR races (both Daytona 500s) since Earnhardt died. It's not so interesting anymore.


EMAIL: tgilli52@gmail.com  TWITTER: EDITORatWORK

More entries from TARJ
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

EDITOR@WORK blog entries 

Entries from The Dog Blog
More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments: