Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Matt Elledge feature from 2014


(NOTE: This was featured in the Hickory Daily Record in 2014.)


Elledge is making up for lost time



By Tom Gillispie

You might call 4-Cylinder racer Matt Elledge a late bloomer. A lot of drivers nowadays started in go-karts when they were six or seven, but Elledge, started “I guess when I was 17 or 18.”

He was still at North Wilkesboro High School then; he graduated in 1996.

Elledge, 36, says his dad, David Elledge, was a crew chief for NASCAR Dash Series racer Gary Staley. Around “2004 or 2005,” the Elledges decided to build a 4-cylinder racecar for Matt.

“I raced at Hickory on and off for five years, but I took off two and a half years when my daughter Libby was born,” said Elledge, who lives in Statesville but keeps his shop in North Wilkesboro.

Last season was Elledge’s first year back, and he finished fifth in points despite starting his season late.

“My first race back I won, and that was exciting,” he said, “and I won two or three more the rest of the year.”

Elledge has won two of three races this year and is leading 4-Cylinder points with 148, followed by Curtis Pardue of Hickory with 130, and Eddie Gilbert of Newton with 128.

Chase Pollard, the defending division champion, won the season opener, with Elledge second.

Elledge beat out Pollard on April 12.

And Elledge won on May 10, with Larry Pollard (Chase’s dad) second.

“This year, my main focus is the points championship (in the 4-Cylinder division) and to win as many races as possible,” Elledge said.

Asked if it would bother him if he didn’t win the title, he said, “It would bother me a little bit; I won’t lie. My goal has always been to win races, but this year part of my goal is to win the championship.”

Elledge says he’d like to try a Limited Late Model car — even to practice it — if someone has one available.

“I want to run Limited Late Model, but that’s probably year after

Elledge says he’s a field technician in audio-visuals for an electronics company that services homes.

 “What I do for a living is different from what I do for fun,” he said.

Elledge says that, as a kid, his favorite driver was Bill Elliott, who was recently voted into the NASCAR Hall of Fame.

Unlike Elliott, Elledge doesn’t drive Fords. He says his engine is Nissan, and the rest is a generic fabricated car.

Elledge says he checks his car over carefully after each race; this time, he found a broken oil pan.

No comments: