Friday, October 7, 2016

The worst drivers in the world walk through here, too

Years ago, I was walking out of the Winston Cup garage at Charlotte Motor Speedway, and I ran into my friend Benny Parsons. Benny, a former racer and then a TV guy for ESPN, was leading a bunch of folks through the gate.

There was a sign entering the garage that said something like "The greatest drivers in the world walk through this gate."

Benny was in a playful mood, and said, "And the worst drivers in the world walk through that gate, too, don't they, Tommy?"

Seriously, I answered, "Benny, I'm a pretty good driver. I just don't drive fast."

We all laughed, Benny and me included.

I wish I had a picture of us in front of that sign, but there was no one there with a camera. And this was long before smartphones.

No comments: