Saturday, December 28, 2013

Jeff Gordon, report to your car


JEFF GORDON, LONG AFTER
THE INCIDENT AT DAYTONA.
(NOTE: This is an excerpt from the book Then Junior Said to Jeff...)

We were in the Benny Kahn infield pressroom at Daytona, with a very young Jeff Gordon sitting in a chair on the dais. He was sitting with his legs straight out and looked maybe 12 or 13 years old.

Suddenly, a stout voice came over the loud speaker: “Jeff Gordon, report to your car. Jeff Gordon, report to your car.”

Gordon sat up and said something like, “I’m sorry, guys. I gotta go. They’re calling for me.”

As Gordon walked between the tables of reporters toward the door, Darrell Waltrip strode in. DW, the next man on the program, had a broad grin, and it was obvious that he was the one who had called for Jeff to leave.

I always wondered if Jeff realized what Waltrip had pulled on him.


Contact: I can be reached at tgilli52@gmail.com or nc3022@yahoo.com. Also, my Twitter handle is EDITORatWORK.

No comments: