Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Toyota drivers talk Darlington

Mark Martin on Darlington: “That’s probably the most challenging track we race on. It’s so easy to make a mistake there. It’s 500 miles, it’s hot and that track is so tough. No corner is the same; you are going so fast, it’s slippery. You have to be careful. These Gen-6 cars are so fast and the competition is so even it’s going to be tough to pass so you are going to fight all race long. A win at Darlington is always well deserved.”

Martin Truex Jr. on racing at Darlington: “It’s one of the places we go to where you have to race the track. If you get caught up in racing someone too hard or lose focus for just a second, you are in the fence. I think that’s why I love the place so much. It is definitely one of my favorites. I have come so close to winning there a few times and last year I feel like we kind of gave a win away. I look forward to going back there. I love the challenge and running up against the fence. I love everything Darlington throws at us. I mean, when you go into Turn 1, the car slides. You don’t know when the car is going to stop. We are so close to the wall. There are parts of that track where you feel like you are out of control. I think that’s why it is so fun to be able to go out and do that for 500 miles.

“I’m not superstitious, but whatever we’ve been doing of late seems to work so we aren't changing anything and if it takes a troll riding on the dashboard, I don't mind the company in the car.”

Truex on qualifying: “A qualifying lap on new tires is pretty hairy. Qualifying is going to be crazy fast. We tire tested there and ran laps in race trim that were faster than last year’s pole. I am excited to go there and I can’t wait to stand on the gas and see where it takes me.”

Clint Bowyer on Mother's Day at Darlington: “It’s always neat to have Mom there. She’s there about every weekend with me. Truthfully Mother’s Day is just a great day to give appreciation to good ol’ Mom. She’s always there and Darlington is a race she looks forward to going to every year. She loves going up there and they give her flowers. She gets on the stage and has a good time. It’s just great to be able to celebrate that weekend with her and have her at the racetrack.”

On Jana "Mom" Bowyer: “When you live with four guys you’ve got to be tough. She’s a tough ol’ farm gal and she’d lay you out in a heartbeat if you needed it. She was every bit that girl. You didn’t cross Mom. (laughs). She’d bust you in the mouth.”

Bowyer, on what he did with Mom for fun growing up: “We raced. That’s what we do for fun – that’s what we’ve always done for fun. We raced together as a family and that’s our vacation.”

Bowyer on Darlington: “I like the uniqueness of the racetrack. I’ve struggled to have good finishes there, but we’ve always raced well. We just can’t seem to seal the deal at the end. Something always goes haywire at the end, but I’m looking forward to overcoming that and having a good weekend. I remember going there for the first time – I actually sat won the pole there the first time I was ever there. Truth be told it scared the daylights out of me.”

More blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)

Blog entries from The Dog Blog
• Katie cried
• Growl and pull


More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments: