Friday, April 5, 2013

Toyota drivers on Martinsville


Brian Vickers on Martinsville:Last year when we went to Martinsville it was only my second time in the No. 55. We were riding some momentum from Bristol- and I think the same can be said for this year. Granted it’s with the new GEN 6 car, but we rallied at Bristol. Rodney (Childers) was searching for ways to make the car stay off the splitter and toward the end of the race we got it going. We were able to  make a big push at the end to come home with another top ten. This is only going to be my tenth race with them, but really feel like we can continue in a positive direction. We had a great outing last fall when we almost sat on the pole and started second. This team continues to show every time they hit the track that they have something to prove. We all sat together at the beginning of the season for a dinner and just talked about our thoughts, goals and plans for the year- and it was to keep the momentum going. I really appreciate getting in the car knowing these guys are putting 110% in it each weekend. I also enjoy seeing a continued relationship off the track too with Jet Edge. They were on board last year in New Hampshire and it’s great to see them come back. They are literally a big part of the building process of these race cars and I know Michael Waltrip Racing really values them as a partner in the program.” 

Martin Truex Jr. On Martinsville: “This race couldn’t happen at a better time for us. We are all rested up thanks to the off weekend. I am up for the challenge that I think Martinsville will create for this new 2013 NAPA Toyota. The track is so much different from any place we race or go to test for that matter. The NAPA team did some testing there towards the end of the 2012 season for Goodyear. My team has a little experience running the newer-style car with less weight but we haven’t been there with the rear camber change. With all that said, I expect it to be different and I think it is going to be one of those deals where we will have to work on the car during the entire weekend as this track changes so much from Friday to Sunday. The key is to keep after the car and hope we can hit on as many good things as possible. I am really looking forward to that challenge. We have had some really good runs there in my NAPA Toyota. I expect that to be the case again.

“California was really the first weekend that my team has struggled so I am not overly concerned with what we need to do or change going into this weekend. We’ve had fast cars all season. We just missed it at California. It happens sometimes. I have a lot of confidence with what we are taking to Martinsville and since joining MWR, I’ve had fast cars at Martinsville. I used to think it was one of my toughest tracks, but since joining MWR, I feel like we’ve always been a contender.”

Clint Bowyer on RK Motors: “I love cars. All kinds from pickups, to classics to something a little new and different. I also have my own style and the way I like to do things. RK Motors Charlotte is a labor of love for Rob Kauffman and everyone involved and it shows down to the very last detail in the work they do. I’ve worked with them now twice as far as the 2011 barn find Tundra and the 2012 Tekked Out Prius. Their attention to detail, craftsmanship and ability to market custom and classic cars is second to none. They’ve figured it out and found a winning formula. I’d love to get a win for them with their colors on the car to see if they’d put it in their showroom.”

More blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)


Blog entries from The Dog Blog
More blog entries by Tom Gillispie

Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie

No comments: