HOW THE FIELD QUALIFIES FOR THE DAYTONA 500:
- Sunday’s two fastest qualifiers – Danica Patrick and Jeff Gordon will start the Daytona 500 first and second.
- The highest 15 finishers in each Duel race – excluding Patrick or Gordon - will earn a spot in the Daytona 500, and fill positions 3-32.
- Based on their finishing position in the first Duel race, the top 15 will line up on the inside row (odd-number starting positions).
- Based on their finishing position in the second Duel race, the top 15 will line up on the outside row (even-number starting positions).
- Positions 33-36 will go to the four fastest cars from qualifying that have not already earned a spot.
- Position 37-42 will be provisional positions, and go to the highest six cars in 2012 owner points that have not already qualified via the Duel or Coors Light Pole qualifying.
- The 43rd starting position will be assigned to any car owner who has the most recent eligible past NASCAR Sprint Cup champion who did not make the field by any other method, providing the driver had competed in the 2012 NASCAR Sprint Cup season. If the 43rd position remains unused it will be assigned to the next highest car in 2012 owner points not already locked into the field.
More blog entries from The Auto Racing Journal:
(a book of great stories about the Intimidator)
(the book of great NASCAR stories)
Blog entries from The Dog Blog
More blog entries by Tom Gillispie
Anecdotes by Tom Gillispie